- In her 2021 State of The State Address, Whitmer said that the pandemic “stole” in-person learning from students and vowed to have schools reopened by March 2021.
- Many school districts refused to fully reopen in January 2022.
- Schools in Flint are closed to in-person learning indefinitely.
- Parents of students with disabilities in Ann Arbor sued in federal court to force schools to reopen to in-person learning.
- Detroit schools suspended their return to in-person learning from the Christmas break all the way to the end of January 2022.
- Schools in Battle Creek returned to virtual learning in January 2022.
- Schools in Lansing refused to reopen at the start of 2022.
- Many private schools remained open during the pandemic.
- A K-8 student assessment in Michigan released in December 2021 showed that students who were forced into at-home learning are underperforming students with in-person learning.