“Gretchen Whitmer promised to grow the economy and bring jobs back to Michigan,” said Dean Cleary, MIGOP Research and Rapid Response Director. “With the latest GDP data release from the U.S. Commerce Department, we see yet again, Michigan is underperforming and Whitmer is failing at her job.”
- The U.S. Commerce Department’s Bureau of Economic Analysis released their 2021 fourth quarter state GDP report today:
- Michigan’s fourth quarter growth was 5.8 percent, lagging more than a full percentage point behind the nationwide growth rate of 6.9 percent.
- Michigan’s fourth quarter growth ranked in the bottom half of all states in the nation.
- The Republican states of Texas and Tennessee grew by a rate of 10.1 and 9.9 respectively.
- There are 127,000 fewer jobs in Michigan since Whitmer took office including 34,000 manufacturing jobs.