Macomb County Prosecutor Seeks Answers From Gov. Whitmer On Nursing Home Policies
Prosecutor Peter Lucido is determined to get answers
MOUNT CLEMENS, MICH—Macomb County Prosecutor Peter Lucido called on the county’s medical examiner’s office to create a committee to review nursing home deaths related to COVID-19 as pressure mounts on Gov. Gretchen Whitmer to release additional information related to COVID-19 deaths inside nursing homes and related facilities.
“With the primary concern being the welfare of our most vulnerable and elderly, these questions must be allowed to be asked and answered by competent authority,” Lucido said Thursday.
Lucido asserted that he will investigate nursing home-related coronavirus deaths, highlighting questions about whether the transfer of recovering patients into facilities led residents and staff to be infected.
“Gov. Whitmer and her administration continue to refuse to answer questions regarding nursing home deaths,” said Ted Goodman, Communications Director for the Michigan Republican Party. “Michiganders deserve to know the true impact of the state’s orders when dealing with nursing homes and the most vulnerable members of our society.”
Lucido also urged families with concerns about a relative’s “transfer, incident or death,” to report to local law enforcement who he has worked with on a process to collect such reports. He said two reports had already been filed before his news conference at noon Thursday.
Send all media inquiries to Ted Goodman, communications director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.