The Reason Your Energy Costs Are Rising Is Not The Russians, It’s The Insane Policies Of The Democrats
“Michiganders continue to pay the consequences of bad Democrat policies that continue to stretch their budgets thin,” said Gustavo Portela, MIGOP Communications Director. “Working families across our state continue to pay more for just about everything. Fortunately, we can change direction by firing Gretchen Whitmer along with her incompetent cronies and electing Republicans up and down the ballot to deliver immediate relief at the pump, allow working families to keep more of their hard-earned dollars and bring opportunity for all Michiganders.”
Gas Prices Have Been Rising in Michigan SINCE Before The Russia-Ukraine Crisis
- According to U.S. Labor Department data, the price of gas in the Detroit-Warren-Dearborn metro area increased by 43.1 in 2021.
- Fox 2 Detroit: “Prices at the pump were rising long before Russia invaded Ukraine and have spiraled faster since the start of the war.”
- According to AAA, Michiganders are currently paying an average $4.13 per gallon for gas.
- One year ago, gas was $2.72 per gallon.
- Energy costs for households in the Detroit-Warren-Dearborn area skyrocketed in 2021.
- Due to rising inflation, U.S. households are expected to spend an extra $5,200 this year.
Whitmer Has A LONG-DOCUMENTED History Of Siding Against Drivers When It Comes To The Gas Tax
- This month, Whitmer promised she will veto a Republican bill to suspend Michigan’s 27 cent gas tax.
- Whitmer instead called for a smaller sales tax suspension of six cents on the dollar.
- Whitmer also tried passing the buck by calling on the federal government to suspend the national 18 cent gas tax.
- Michigan has one of the highest gas tax rates in the country.
- In January 2022, the state gas tax accounted for 14.3 percent of the share of the total price paid by the driver.
- In 2018, Whitmer was accused of trying to raise gas taxes; she responded by calling that notion “ridiculous” and “nonsense.”
- However, just three months into office, Whitmer proposed a three phased gas tax increase plan culminating in a net 45 cent increase to gas taxes on top of the existing gas tax.
- Whitmer wanted to raise the gas tax to cover her ‘Fix The Damn Roads’ pledge.
- In 2014, Whitmer voted in favor of a bill which in-effect doubled gas taxes in Michigan despite previously vowing not to do so.
- Whitmer referred to the 2014 votes as “bar none, the largest tax increase many of us will ever vote on in our legislative careers.”
Whitmer And Biden Have Been Engaging In A War On Fossil fuel
- On her first full-day day in office, Whitmer called for the shutdown of the Enbridge Line 5 pipeline.
- Line 5 transports up to 540,000 barrels of oil per day and supplies 55 percent of Michigan’s statewide propane demand.
- If Line 5 shuts down Michigan could face a 756,000 gallon per day shortage and a 45 percent reduction in crude.
- According to a study published this month by Consumer Energy Alliance, if Line 5 Shuts down:
- Michiganders should expect to pay between $1.8 billion and $2.2 billion in more in gasoline per year.
- Fuel prices will increase by 9.47 percent to 11.66 percent more than current levels.
- Families and businesses across the Midwest would pay an additional $23.7 billion more in gasoline and diesel over five years.
- There will be a loss of air transportation service at Detroit International Airport as well as other regional airports in the state.
- Farm income will be disproportionately affected by the shutdown.
- Biden campaigned on ending fossil fuel.
- Biden killed the Keystone pipeline.
- Alberta Premier Jason Kenney urged President Biden to allow the construction of the keystone pipeline which would increase U.S. oil imports by 900,000 barrels per day.
- Biden Energy Secretary Jennifer Granholm laughed when asked what her plan was to increase oil production in America and said “that is hilarious.”