October 13, 2021
Whitmer Wednesday – Déjà vu: Haven’t We Read This Story Before?
“Joe Biden and Gretchen Whitmer are two peas in a pod, captive of the far-left. They think fooling Michiganders by saying one thing and doing another to save their own political careers will work as they raise taxes on our middle-class families. We’re going to retire Gretchen Whitmer and her out of touch policies and replace her with a Republican governor that will make our state more affordable and usher in an economic recovery that works for everyone, not just the well connected.” – Gustavo Portela, MIGOP Communications Director.
JOE BIDEN BROKE HIS PROMISE NOT TO RAISE TAXES ON AMERICANS MAKING LESS THAN $400,000 PER YEAR
- Joe Biden and Congressional democrats proposed an irresponsible $3.5 trillion spending bill on top of an already bloated federal budget.
- Joe Biden repeatedly promised not to raise taxes on any Americans making less than $400,000 and is on the verge of breaking that promise is he caves to Congressional Democrats.
- The taxes proposed by Joe Biden will hit middle and working class families in Michigan.
- The Democrat reconciliation bill will increase taxes on American businesses to 26.5 percent which would put American companies at a competitive disadvantage.
- The United States will lose its competitive advantage on Canada who currently has a 26.6 percent tax rate on businesses.
- Businesses in Europe are taxed at an average of 18.98 percent.
- Business in Asia are taxes at an average of 21.43 percent.
- Taxes on businesses will be higher in the United States than communist China which sets their rate at 25 percent.
- In Joe Biden’s American Jobs Plan, he wanted to increase business taxes to 28 percent.
- Under the House Democrat plan, taxes on tobacco products will skyrocket.
- With a sharp rise in government spending, consumers are getting “socked” with higher prices at grocery stores, coffee shops and drug stores due to inflation.
- This summer, the consumer price index rose 5.4 percent compared to 12 months before.
- Food prices are up 5.3 percent from last year.
- Gas prices are up $1.01 per gallon from last year nationally.
- In Michigan, gas prices increased from $2.12 per gallon one year ago to $3.34 today – a 57.5 percent increase.
- The rise in inflation has wiped out recent wage gains.
GRETCHEN WHITMER BROKE HER PROMISE NOT TO TRY TO RAISE THE GAS TAX TO PAY FOR HER FIX THE DAMN ROADS PLAN
- Whitmer campaigned against raising the gas tax then as governor, then tried to nearly double it
- In 2018, Whitmer called the notion that she would raise the gas tax “ridiculous” and “nonsense”
- In her third month in office, Whitmer called for a 45 cent gas tax, nearly doubling it
- The average family was expected to pay up to $700 per year in new taxes
- Three-quarters of Michiganders polled opposed the tax increase
- Gas stations near the Ohio and Indiana borders would suffer from having cheaper competition nearby
- Even owning an electric vehicle would not spare a driver from the gas tax as fees for hybrid-vehicles were tied to gas tax amounts
- Whitmer threatened to veto a Senate bill which would block her from increasing the gas tax to pay for the roads
- After her gas tax plan fell through, Whitmer tried to raise income taxes to pay for the roads
- Then in 2019, Whitmer’s budget called for a 41 percent tax increase on small businesses known as pass-through’s to pay for the roads
- This tax would have applied to 150,000 S-corporations, partnerships and LLC’s throughout Michigan
- Whitmer failed to pass her Fix the Damn Roads infrastructure plan through the legislature and resorted to bypassing the Legislature by borrowing $3.5 Billion, through state bonds which will take 25 years to pay back