Whitmer’s Appearance With The Detroit News Shows She Has Lost All Touch With Reality
“The reality is that Gretchen Whitmer is too extreme for Michigan,” said Gustavo Portela, MIGOP Deputy Chief of Staff & Communications Director. “She can’t answer basic questions that every Michiganders are interested in hearing, and she knows what we know, Tudor Dixon caught her in the middle of a lie when it came to schools reopening at the last debate. We will continue to expose her for the fraud that she’s been.”
REALITY: Schools In Michigan Were Closed For Two Years.
- Whitmer shut schools down on March 12, 2020 for three weeks.
- In April 2020, Whitmer expanded the order closing the schools down for the rest of the academic year.
- In July 2020, Whitmer announced that she will not be reopening the schools until she felt it was safe.
- In August 2020, Whitmer issued guidance to schools but did not require them to reopen.
- In November 2020, Whitmer forced any school that opened in September to close.
- In April 2021, Whitmer asked schools to halt in-person learning.
- Going into 2022, many school districts such as Flint, Ann Arbor, Detroit, Battle Creek and Lansing refused to fully reopen.
- In January 2022, Whitmer finally called on all schools to reopen to in-person instruction.
- The experts agree, school closures are detrimental to children’s health:
- Leading psychologists across the world warned of long-term mental health risks with keeping children from socializing and face-to-face contact with other children.
- Children with disabilities were hurt by not having a normal school day.
- Child abuse and domestic violence skyrocketed during the lockdown.
- The lockdowns worsened racial and class divides in education.
- Parents were burdened by the rise of child care costs.
- Failing grades rose throughout Michigan by 35 percent in high schools and 20 percent in elementary and middle schools – one district responded to the rise in failures by eliminating failing grades.
- Test scores dropped among Michigan students across the board.
- 4th grade reading scores dropped to the lowest levels in three decades.
REALITY: Whitmer And The Democrat Party Are Out Of Step With Most Americans On Abortion.
- Whitmer supports prop 3 which permits unlimited and unregulated abortions. If prop 3 passes:
- Parents will not be informed or have the opportunity to consent to their daughter get an abortion.
- Abortions will be sanctioned by the state all the way up to the point of birth and the baby can be terminated for any reason or no reason at all.
- Allows abortions to be performed by undefined “health care professionals” instead of just doctors.
- Parents will not be informed or have the opportunity to consent to their child having life-altering sex-change operations.
- The sexual whims of the progressive lefts will trump fundamental constitutional rights such as freedom of speech and exercising religious conscience.
- Age of consent laws designed to protect minors from predatory adults will be weakened.
- Americans overwhelmingly support pro-life policies.
- 72 percent of Americans want some restrictions on abortions.
- 80 percent of Americans want to ban third trimester abortions and 65 percent of Americans want to ban second trimester abortions
- 55 percent of Americans support a 15-week limit on abortions when they learn that babies feel pain at 15 weeks.
- The Journal of Medical Ethics found that babies begin to feel pain at 12 weeks.
REALITY: Whitmer Has Supported The Practice Of Partial-Birth Abortion
- Whitmer promised to veto any legislation that will end “dismemberment abortion.”
- Dismemberment abortion, also referred to as dilation and evacuation is a later term abortion procedure which involves the barbaric process of cutting apart the infant in the womb.
- Whitmer told former Barack Obama advisor David Axelrod in a podcast that an abortion is a “life-sustaining measure.”
- In 2008, Whitmer spoke out against a ban on partial-birth abortions.
- In 2003, Whitmer voted against a ban on partial-birth abortions.
REALITY: Whitmer Has Always Wanted To Raise Your Taxes
- In June 2022, Whitmer vetoed Republican legislation to cut Michigan’s income tax rate.
- In April 2022, Whitmer vetoed Republican legislation to suspend the state gas tax to help alleviate the cost of rising gas prices.
- In March 2022, Whitmer vetoed Republican legislation to provide a $500 per child tax credit.
- Whitmer’s 2022 budget included raising $27.6 million in new fees for normal everyday services as getting a traffic accident report from the state police, requesting a driving record, fees on obtaining x-rays and mammograms and waste removal.
- In July 2021, Whitmer vetoed business tax breaks for s-corporations
- June 2021, Whitmer vetoed giving a tax break for businesses for the purchases of PPE
- Whitmer’s 2020 budget proposal included a 41 percent tax on small businesses known as “pass-throughs.”
- In 2019, Whitmer indicated that she would support House Democrat bills that would move Michigan’s income tax from a flat tax to a progressive tax state.
- In 2019, Whitmer called for a 6 percent business tax.
- In 2019, Whitmer threatened an income tax increase if her 45-cent gas tax plan was not approved.
- During her 2018 campaign. Whitmer called the notion that she would raise the gas tax “ridiculous” and “nonsense,” However, in her third month in office, Whitmer called for a 45-cent gas tax, effectively doubling it.
- Whitmer campaigned in 2018 on repealing the pension tax promising she would get it done in her first year in office.
- Whitmer is now in her fourth year in office and failed to get it done in 2019 as promised outraging many retirees.
- The repeal had bipartisan support.
- Detroit Free Press’ Paul Egan: “…but more than a year after Whitmer took office, the tax remains in place, despite the fact majority leaders in both chambers say they support its repeal in principle.”
- Whitmer poisoned the well by tying the pension tax repeal to an increase in taxes on Michigan’s businesses.
- In 2014, Whitmer voted on a bill that would have doubled Michigan’s gas tax.
- This came after admitting that a gas tax increase would hurt the poor.
- In 2014, Whitmer supported Prop. 1 which would have increased the state sales tax to seven percent as well as hiked fees.
REALITY: Whitmer Ignored The Advice Of Medical Experts And As A Result 8,000 Long-Term Care Patients Died And Then Tried To Cover Up The True Extent Of The Deaths.
- In March 2020, the President and CEO of the Health Care Association of Michigan sent a letter to Whitmer asking for COVID-19-infected patients to be sent to separate facilities and away from the general nursing home population.
- The Whitmer administration was warned that nursing homes deaths were likely higher than public reports due to poor testing.
- It was not until May that Whitmer asked nursing homes to separate COVID-infected patients from non-infected patients but allowed them to remain in the same facility.
- In June, nursing home data became public showing a sharp rise in deaths.
- In July, the legislature passed a bill which mandated nursing home patients with COVID-19 to be transferred out of nursing homes and into separate facilities. and Whitmer vetoed it calling it a “political game.”
- In January 2022, the Office of the Auditor General (OAG) concluded that Michigan Health Officials underreported nursing home deaths by 42 percent.
- There were 8,061 long-term care facility deaths – not the 5,675 that Whitmer reported.